Saturday, February 6, 2010

Major Life Decisions

So, lately the question of the day has been, "What am I going to do with the rest of my life?" Just when I thought I had it all figured out, now I'm not so sure.
Just about three years ago I graduated high school with the sure thought that I wanted to be a teacher. Well, you know how some kids can say, "I've wanted to be a teacher since I was little. It is something I always wanted to do," that was never me. About two years ago I kinda pretended it was me, but in reality I flip flopped through so many career choices through the years. At one point I wanted to be a vet tech, at another point I wanted to do something with fashion, teaching was just kinda always in the background. When I graduated high school I was 100% heart felt on teaching all the way! The only thing I couldn't decide was what subject to major in? What grade to teach?
Three years later and I'm still struggling with some of these same questions but I have also added about 10 more. This is all because I chose writing arts as my second major, thanks a lot.
Now I think, maybe I shouldn't teach at all? Maybe I should become a college professor? Of what, creative writing? Or, should I go further into the writing business? What would that entail though? Or, could I even do that?
Then I thought of an editor. I love, love, love reading. Always have, and I always will. Maybe I can see myself becoming an editor for romance novels? But then I found out there aren't any jobs in Philly so I guess I would have to take a shot at New York.
My other option would be to write. A fashion magazine would be perfect for me. However, then there is the same question of how would I get into something like that? The final option would be to write books. I would love to one day write something that is published, so maybe that would be a good choice. Would I start on a novel? Or go to the children's book side?

Hm, thanks writing arts for putting all these doubts in my head. Especially now when I am so close to being done. Luckily, I can stick to my major no matter what I decide. Perhaps this is just a phase of some sort?
No matter what, when I graduate I'll have a teaching certificate and writing arts degree and then I can see where the chips fall.

xoxo
Ali

1 comment:

  1. I switched into Writing Arts this past fall, and if the number of career/life options WA has afforded me were strips of bacon, then I'd have enough cholesterol on my plate to kill an elephant.

    Don't get me wrong -- each one smells so delicious, each... mouth-watering... strip... of bacon..... *finds a bucket; places it under chin*

    But just as I think about eating every single one, my doctor (a la shoulder angel) pops in and says "Behold the temptation! But the pleasure is fleeting, and the wages of gluttony are death. Above all else, zeal in moderation! Unless, that is, you want to try this new cholesterol drug I got -- and just look at this neat pen it comes with!"

    Batting the shoulder angel aside (after stealing the pen), I realize that I forget where I'm going with this story.

    The point is, that you're thinking about these things in this manner means you're 1) self-aware, 2) conscientious, 3) passionate, and 4), as implied by 1-3, you'll not only find ways to succeed with every choice you make, but you'll also find ways to make each one meaningful and enjoyable for yourself and your community.

    ReplyDelete