Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The First Spark in Writing

It's not all that great...
I don't even know if the "fireworks" analogy works...
It's not even done yet...
It feels like it's missing something...
But it's all I have for now. It's due in less than a week. It's part of a BIG assignment.
enjoy!

It wasn't until the end of high school that I became interested in writing.  I had always been a big reader but had never thought about creating my own pieces.  Now, I think about writing like Fourth of July fireworks. The show always starts slow, sometimes it is even just a lone sparkler, then it builds to the first big boom, after that it continues to grow until it is the grand finale. The “grand finale” of writing would, for me, be getting something published. It is something every writer dreams of happening one day to jump start their career.
For most of my life I was content to sit, watch, and enjoy the show as I read others works.  Sure, I wrote all my life but my writing was always the standard formal essays required in school. Therefore, it never had a spark, and it never had passion. Through numerous writing classes, and numerous hours of practice, I've now learned that passion is the key to good writing.
My first real firework came the middle of my freshman year in college. This is when I was a sparkler, writing and writing, just waiting to get noticed. It happened through a contest on the internet that I entered on a whim. Sure, my teachers had praised my writing before. Sure, I received a well earned A. However, this was just fueling my spark. It took an actual prize to make the first writing firework.
One of my favorite websites, Running with Heels, was running a contest. The rules were simple, the most creative person to show why they wanted to win these “Dorina” boots would win the prize. I had always loved shoes and had a lot in my collection. However, miraculously, I didn’t have any black high heeled boots. The “Dorina” boots were black, suede, and best of all, waterproof. They had a cute heel, that wasn’t high enough for me to fall in, and a button top. Most importantly, the “Dorina” boots retailed for a little under three hundred dollars, which meant I could never afford them by myself.
At this point, I thought why not try. It was winter break and I was bored without any real assignments to work on. My family had always told me I had a knack for rhyming poetry. My poems weren't advanced or complicated, but they had rhythm. I set out to write a page length poem that rhymed. So one night, while my mom and sister curled up on the couch to watch "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants," I sprawled out on the floor underneath with my laptop stretched out in front.
     It took me roughly the two hour movie to complete my poem. Now, thinking back to this, I see how my writing styles came out as I wrote and rewrote the simple lines (sequence) and tried to think of creative poetry to wow the judges (confluence). By the time the credits were rolling, I had officially submitted my work for everyone to view on the internet.
The Dorina's would make me the envy of my friends,
Who are always trying to keep up with the latest trends.
So please consider picking me for the selection,
So I can continue to add to my shoe collection!
It wasn't until I was back in school, sitting in Biology watching a movie about tigers, that I heard back about the contest. By this point, the poem had scrolled way to the back of my head as new school assignments took a front seat. Nevertheless, when the tiger movie became unbearably boring, I decided to check my email. “I won," I screamed as I hit my friend next to me. The quiet class turned to look at me as I shut my phone and turned a ruby red. I reread the email about five more times before forwarding it to every member of my family.
When I got home that afternoon, my mom was waiting to congratulate me, my dad wanted a printed copy to bring to work, and my grandparents had called to hear the actual poem. The attention, along with the tangible prize arriving in three to five business days, set off my first true firework. Nothing beats that first firework, but from there I have only grown as a writer. I'm still waiting for the grand finale, the show that will impress everyone, but I know it will come. Until then, it's practice, practice, sparkle, sparkle.

xoxo
Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment